Monday, June 3, 2013

Parenting Advice - 2 Short and Sweet Tips 


Do your kids scream "I want that! I want that!" in the store?


TracyTip #1: Our kids were not allowed to say "I want that" instead they were trained from an early age that if they see something they like in the store, what they mean to say is "I LIKE THAT" so they do not appear to be spoiled brats. To this day, they follow this rule. The trick is to train them young or if you do not have that luxury at this late of date, correct them promptly and maybe even reward them accordingly for saying "I like that" without you telling them to do it, occasionally of course. 

Do your kids say "I'm Bored!" too much?


TracyTip #2: We explained to our children that when they are bored they are actually really relaxed. Instead of saying "I'm Bored" say "I'm relaxed!" The first few times you have to catch them when they are saying "I'm Bored" and say "You mean you are relaxed?" to which they always say "Yeah, I am SUPER RELAXED!" and we all laugh. Then I give them 3 choices of something to do, one being a chore, one being an activity at home they enjoy, and the other being something to help me with what I am working on so that they feel needed and useful. They are ALWAYS happy to do the one that is NOT a chore. Or they might just realize they are relaxed, lay back and enjoy it if they are a laid back kind of person. I have one like that. His name is Corban :)

I hope these 2 small tips bring entertainment and peace to your lives. I honestly have not heard my teenagers say "I am bored" or "I want that" in years. It is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment